The Fab 5
A question I often get asked is “Dr. Dane, what supplements do you take every day?”. Great question and I sincerely believe that it is my supplement regimen, in addition to other daily habits, that has kept me healthy and Covid free. The question should not only be “what to take” but “why to take” the supplements you need daily. I will briefly share what I take each day and why I take them. This is not everything that I take but the top five or what we call “The Fab 5” in our office. These aren’t quite as well known as The Beatles but every bit as important because they ensure a healthy functioning body and immune system.
1. Essential Multivitamin/Multimineral: Essential Vitamins and Minerals are important to almost all cellular functions in the body. A comprehensive micronutrient formula should be made with highly bioavailable forms of key vitamins and minerals. Minerals, such as magnesium and calcium, are required by the body to allow for optimal health and longevity. Research continues to show that deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals are a major risk factor for serious disease states and other health complications. Among such health complications, lacking proper vitamin and mineral intake can damage DNA, hinder growth/maturation, impede cognitive function, immunity, and digestive function, and nutrient absorption.
2. Omega Pure EPA/DHA 1000: An omega supplement should be a super-concentrated and purified fish oil supplement containing evidence-based doses of the key omega-3 essential fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in triglyceride form. An extensive body of clinical research has demonstrated the efficacy of supplemental EPA and DHA for healthy cardiovascular function, healthy Immune function, musculoskeletal support, promoting skin vitality, and cognitive support. Since toxins like aluminum and mercury are stored in the fatty part of the fish, your omega should be tested and these toxins should be distilled out of the fish oil before it is rendered into a capsule. The fish oil we use from NutriDyn is tested for over 450 potential contaminants.
3. An Alkalizing Fruit and Greens Powder: NutriDyn Fruits & Greens is an easy-to-mix, great-tasting, nutrient-rich superfood formula with whole food concentrates designed to provide synergistic phytonutrient nutrition. It provides a super blend of 100% natural fruit and vegetable extracts, vitamins, enzymes, and symbiotic intestinal flora—high in antioxidants and phytonutrients. It supports the immune system and detoxification. It has probiotics and fiber to support digestion. Fruits and greens are natural body alkalizer and contain no gluten, stimulants, caffeine, or sugar. It's a great way for kids to get nutrients if they are not big vegetable or fruit eaters. Fruits and vegetables are needed every day and this is an easy way to ensure that it gets done!
4. Vitamin D3 w/K2: Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 are found everywhere and are essential micronutrients with important roles throughout the body, such as supporting stress levels, bone health, skin health, heart health, and immune function. It is crucial to obtain adequate amounts of vitamin D on daily basis, as a deficiency can lead to a host of health issues. This has become even more evident and important this past year with the Covid pandemic. A research team at Northwestern University conducted a statistical analysis of data from hospitals and clinics in 10 different countries and found patients had lower levels of Vitamin D in those countries with higher Covid-19 mortality rates, like Italy and Spain, than patients in other less affected countries. You should take 400 IU’s per 10 lbs. of body weight per day. So, a 150 lb person should be taking 6,000 IU’s per day, especially in the winter when we don’t get direct sunlight exposure. If you are out in the sun on a regular basis and are lighter skin color, you may not need to take as much in the spring, summer, and fall. Everyone should have their Vitamin D3 levels checked by their doctor and a good level would fall between 50-70 nanograms/milliliter.
5. Probiotic: Probiotics are a MUST for most people. I could write a book on the benefits of probiotics. Some of the most important benefits are boosting your immunity, improving digestion, improving mental health through the gut/brain axis, improving your cholesterol, helping to fight allergies, and improves your skin health, and even help manage your weight. Is that enough? The probiotic supplement we suggest in our office, Ultra-biotic Daily features a 50:50 blend of patented Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM® and Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07®—two of the most thoroughly studied probiotic strains. In fact, there are actually over 50 human clinical trials on these specific strains, confirming their importance as two of the leading probiotic strains in the world. The studies indicate that there is a synergy of Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM® and Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07® that supports healthy gut flora balance, immune function, and proper digestion of vital nutrients.
Wellness Solution Centers has supplements in stock and also has an online store if you're interested in improving your health!
Best in Health,
Dr. Dane Donohue is a Chiropractor in Newtown PA and has been serving his community for over 25 years. Wellness Solution Centers provides all the services you need for a healthy life.