What supplements should you be taking and WHY?
One of the questions that I receive frequently from patients is “what supplements do you take Dr. Dane?”. First, let me say that I truly believe the supplements I take to make a big difference in my health. I notice improved energy, better sleep, less inflammation and pain, and overall better mood and brain function (clearer thinking) when I am consistently taking them. In fact, I truly feel that one of the reasons I got Covid right before Thanksgiving this past year is that I got LAZY with my supplements. I was taking them every day and only missing them occasionally and then in late October, we went away for a long weekend and forgot my pill tray. Well, a few days lead to a few more and before you knew it, I was only taking them a couple of days a week. Since I got Covid, I haven’t missed a day and I noticed that I’m feeling great again. Why do we sometimes get lazy with the daily health deposits we know are important? I don’t know the answer to that question, but it happens to all of us and hopefully, we learn and do better in the future. I know I learned my lesson!
So here is the arsenal of supplements I take daily and a short description of why I take them. By the way, the suggested dosage and/or the number of pills is usually on the bottle.
1. Liposomal Glutathione Sublingual Spray- Glutathione is the #1 cellular antioxidant in the body. Antioxidants prevent free radical damage to our cells. Glutathione decreases as we age. Free radicals weaken and damage our cells and antioxidants prevent this damage.
2. Detox Support- This is a complement of different nutrients that help support phase 1 and phase 2 detoxification in the liver. The liver is critical for pulling toxins out of the blood that are then removed from the body. So many toxins enter our body and like a good bouncer at a nightclub, the liver is responsible for getting rid of them. Probably one of the most important organs in the body is our liver and we should support it with the right nutrients.
3. Multivitamin- The essential multi that I take is a comprehensive micronutrient formula made up of vitamins, minerals, and herbal nutrients. A multivitamin usually doesn’t go deep (dosage) but goes wide (number of different nutrients) so you aren’t getting a large dosage of each nutrient but you are getting a lot of different nutrients required by the body.
4. Ultrabiotic Daily- The probiotic I take, UltraBiotic Daily is a foundational probiotic supplement featuring a 50:50 blend of patented Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM® and Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07®—two of the most thoroughly studied probiotic strains. Remember, 70% of your immune function and cells are in your gut, so a healthy gut is essential for a healthy immune system. UltraBiotic daily also helps with digestion and nutrient absorption. Remember, bacteria are “natural decomposers” and so they help break down our food. I think this is absolutely an essential supplement to add to your arsenal for good health!
5. Vitamin D3- Remember that Vitamin D3 is not really a vitamin at all. It is a pro-hormone, a precursor to hormone synthesis, and used by nearly EVERY single cell in the body. Vitamin D3 has so many important functions in the body such as bone health, immune health, and brain health, it especially helps reduce depression. You should have your vitamin D3 levels checked, and they should be between 30-60 ng/mL.
6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Probably one of the most important nutrients that you can take each day. Omega-3 Fatty Acids are used by the body where fat is the backbone of that organ, tissue, or molecule. Think of all the things that are made of fat in the body; your brain, your hormones, the elastin in your joints and blood vessels, and even the covering of all our nerves are made of fat. So, it’s important to get a lot of “healthy” omega-3 fat in your diet as opposed to omega-6 fat (found in products made from animals). We should be getting a 2/1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 and most Americans get a ratio of 20/1 which is a contributor to inflammation in the body. It’s important to not buy cheap here but to buy a super-pure oil that has been distilled of heavy metals such as aluminum. Most companies do not distill their fish oil from impurities.
7. PRM-Pro-Resolving Mediators- PRMs are lipid molecules that together resist inflammation and resolve the infection. PRM’s are distinct from immunosuppressive molecules as they not only dampen inflammation but don’t suppress the body's natural host defenses. Remember, we don’t want to suppress our immune system, we want to enhance it naturally.
8. Zinc- Zinc is considered an essential nutrient, meaning that your body can’t produce or store it. For this reason, you must get a constant supply through your diet. Zinc is the second most abundant trace mineral in your body next to iron. It is critical for the development and function of immune cells which is critical during this pandemic.
9. Vitamin C-Vitamin C is a vital nutrient for health. It helps form and maintains bones, skin, and blood vessels. It is also an antioxidant.
10. Colonix®- I LOVE this product! Colonix is an intestinal cleanser is a daily fiber that contains 14 all-natural ingredients including a proprietary blend of medicinal herbs and dietary fiber. I see so much garage in people's digestive systems
on x-ray. Colonix fiber helps to cleanse the colon of accumulated toxic build-up and prevent the formation of new build-up. I can tell when I am taking it consistently because my stomach is flatter because I’m cleaned out!
11. Ultra GI Integrity- Ultra GI Integrity from NutriDyn is a nutritional formula designed to support gastrointestinal integrity and function. It is the ideal nutritional formula for those looking to support their GI tract in a healthy manner.
I hope this helps in your quest to have a healthy 2022!
Yours in great health,